Friday, August 31, 2007

Justin 8/28

I don't see anything posted other than Dr. Rog's, so I guess I will be the guinea pig/nerd. Since the girl from South Carolina being top news was a big attraction during the first class, I thought it would be appropriate to talk about the ongoing grudge I've had against AOL. Ever since I used the internet, I've used AOL mail. Once, when I was in high school (I lived in Germany at the time), I was told that I couldn't log into AOL because my account had been suspended. My dad was in Sweden on business, and he ended up spending over two hours on the phone, long distance, to figure out why he couldn't check his email. It turned out that our account had been suspended due to a mildly crude phrase written in my AOL Profile, sort of the predecessor to MySpace or Facebook. Apparently they were strict about content maintenance back then, since the only people that would ever see the comment were AOL members that pressed Ctrl G and then typed in my screen name. Today, it seems like at least one of AOL News' 5 headlines is dedicated to improving your sex life or advertising stolen celebrity sex tapes. These are headlines, with pictures, on the front page where everyone can see. And they shut my family's account down no more than 6 or 7 years ago for something dumb I had written in my profile? Seems like their priorities have changed.

Not to drag this out any more, but did anyone see the run of theme park tragedies in the news in early August? There must have been four in a two week span. They were all headlines on AOL, that's the only reason I noticed.

No comments: