Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Justin, 10/23

Our discussion on ideology got me thinking about the way that many Christians I talk to approach their faith. I grew uo going to Catholic church, and though I still attend occasionally, I am not a practicing Catholic. Similar to what many people seem to consider themselves these day, I would say I'm spiritual but not religious. A discussion I had with a close friend of mine who would consider herself a strong Catholic dealt with the way she feels about her faith. She studies the Bible daily, and she feels like she's developed a strong connection with God that inspires her every day. But she's also knowledgable enough to provide convincing answers when asked about her beliefs. In other words, she has a strong, well-developed belief in her religion.
My question to her was, with a belief like hers, where is the line drawn when it comes to material things. I was trying to be critical when I asked, because you can't blame someone for living a comfortable life. I just wanted to know, when it comes to religion, where she thinks the border is to how much of yourself you can afford not to give to helping others. Is not the ultimate ideal to take what you need and share the rest? If people were helping each other instead of competing for more, wouldn't everyone be able to survive? I'm not saying this as my firm belief, just contemplating it. It seems to me that most ideology we live by seems focused toward good, but not that good. She told me that when God shows her what she should be doing, she will be ready. And she expects to get involved helping people at some point. I think that it's great, because she'll help people more than most will, more than I'm doing just typing at a computer. But her relationship with God mainly seems to affect only her and, as she hopes, the people she has contact with. Are ideals shaped most by what suits us as individuals, even the ones we consider most important?

No comments: